Self-Guided Mosaic Tour of Scotland
Mosaic by George Garson created of Alan Davie painting for Davie's hometown Grangmouth
This is a guide to many of the mosaics of Scotland. It has been compiled to coincide with the British Association for Modern Mosaic’s annual Forum in Edinburgh and is available as a pdf to download
Self Guided Tour of Mosaics in Scotland.pdf
It is intended for people who would like to explore the mosaics of Scotland and is divided up into five main geographical areas so that you can find the ones near you. The mosaics are listed within each area alphabetically by artist or by location, if the artist is unknown, so that you can plan your own mosaic trail. Those mosaics which are described as being ‘near’ Edinburgh or Glasgow are close enough to be reached in less than an hour’s drive from the respective cities.
In many cases the mosaics are located in public buildings, shops, cafés and churches. Access to the mosaics in these cases is dictated by the buildings’ opening hours which need to be checked individually. Elsewhere, the guide includes notes about relevant access restrictions.
Needless to say, like all guides, it is an evolving process and there will be mosaics that have been overlooked or inadvertently missed out. We would be delighted to hear about other mosaics that you feel should be included in the guide – please send an email to Helen Miles (firstname.lastname@example.org).
John Kingsley Cook, Peter Wilson Building, King’s Buildings, University of Edinburgh EH9 3JG
Two abstract wall mosaics, mostly in stone, designed by George Garson’s tutor, Kingsley Cook, and executed by Kingsley Cook.
Clydesdale Bank, 4 Bernard Street, Leith EH6 7PX
Gold leaf mosaic ceiling to the external entrance.
Dome Café, 14 George Street EH2 2PF
The café premises were built as a bank headquarters in 1847 and have patterned mosaic floors.
The Edinburgh Central Hall, 2 West Tollcross EH3 9BP
Mosaic floors in the foyer of the building.
Edinburgh Central Library, Left-hand staircase, George IV Bridge EH1 1EG
Part of a 19th century panel made of specially designed tiles from Leeds which used to form a frieze in the newsroom, now the Scottish Library.
The Edinburgh Mosaic, Paterson’s Land, Holyrood Road EH8 8AQ
Depicts Edinburgh at the time of the signing of the Act of Union in 1707, inside the main entrance. Designed by William J Macaulay and completed in 1938.
Traditional late 19th - 20th century shop entrance mosaics on Kerr Street, Stockbridge and Leith Walk. They can also be found on Great Junction Street, Duke Street and Constitution Street, Leith.
Maggy Howarth, Rose Street EH2 3DT and beyond.
A series of circular pebble mosaics representing stylised flowers and geometric designs. There were originally eight mosaics but only five remain of which two are badly damaged.
Maggy Howarth, next to the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 1 Queen Street EH2 1JD
A pebble mosaic of Scottish fauna and flora in a courtyard to the right of the portrait gallery.
George Garson, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, 77 Falcon Avenue, Morningside EH10 4AN
A series of stations of the cross mosaics made in stone and smalti.
Tindal Mosaic, Marchmont St Giles Parish Church of Scotland, 1A Kilgraston Road EH9 2DW
Smalti and glass mosaic designed by Ray Howard Jones and created by Ernest de Rosa. Given by Professor Tindal in 1965 in memory of his wife Elfrida.
Waverley Station EH1 1BG
Mosaic floor in the Virgin Ticket Office partly obscured but still shows a lovely curving floral design in what used to be a Victorian dining room.
Waverley Telephone Exchange, East London Street EH7 4BH
Tiled panel on the outside of the 1960s building including tiles designed by Ken Clark, a craft potter, and made by Malkin Johnson Tiles.
Additional information from Pat Witts
There is the lovely slate mosaic by George Garson, Black Sun of Winter, in the National Museum of Scotland, on display on Level 5 – a rare example of a major museum displaying a modern mosaic
MOSAICS IN THE EDINBURGH AREA
George Garson, La Porte Precinct, Grangemouth, Falkirk FK3 8BG
Smalti mosaic designed by Alan Davie and realised by George Garson and Dugald MacInnes depicting Grangemouth town and industries in 1975.
Maggy Howarth, Almondvale Shopping Centre, Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston EH54 6HR
Rolling River natural pebble mosaic depicting the River Almond and the flora and fauna of Livingston.
Maggy Howarth, Dunblane Memorial Garden, Dunblane FK17 0AQ
Memorial dedicated to Gwen Mayor and the 16 children who were killed in the Dunblane massacre in 1996 and includes a pebble mosaic with the names of the victims.
Debbie Ryan, Guardian of the Bridges, Newhalls Road, South Queensferry EH30 9TA
Mosaic sculpture with steel armature made in the direct method and decorated with vitreous glass and including mosaic designs made by local school children.
Kerry Wilson, West Wemyss Community Mosaic, Fife Coastal Path, Kirkcaldy
Community mosaics in West Wemyss on the Burntisland to Buckhaven section of the Fife Coastal Path. The mosaics include two giant swans on rolling waves.
Entrance to Argyll Arcade, 55 Argyll Parade, G2 8BG
A mosaic crest with a gold background dated 1904.
The Corinthian Club, 191 Ingram Street, Merchant City G1 1DA
Built in 1884, this building with 19th century patterned mosaic floors, was originally the Glasgow and Ship Bank.
Great Western Road and Woodlands Road street bollards, Glasgow.
Groups of street bollards decorated in mosaics made in vitreous glass with assorted designs.
Glasgow City Chambers, 80 George Square G2 1DU
Inaugurated in 1888 by Queen Victoria, the municipal buildings feature extensive mosaic floors and ceilings.
Garnethill Park, Hill Street G3 GNZ
Mosaic mural created in 1978 which tells the story of the area and its regeneration.
George Garson, Adam Smith Building, 40 Bute Gardens, University of Glasgow G12 8RT
Abstract mosaic decorating a staircase largely in vitreous glass in the indirect method.
George Garson, Glasgow School of Art Library, 167 Renfrew Street G3 6RQ
Large geometric wall mosaic in stone and bright elements of smalti using the direct method.
George Garson, School of Geographical and Earth Sciences, Gregory Building, University of Glasgow G12 8QQ
Large abstract wall mosaic mainly in stone. The mosaic contains stone details including fossils.
Glasgow Central Railway Station, Gordon Street G1 3SL
Mosaic mural in smalti representing key Glasgow buildings and the intercity train crossing the River Clyde. Made by Jude Burkhauser in 1989.
Oran Mor, 1 Byres Road G12 8QX
A converted church with a lively entrance floor mosaic of Scottish dancers as seen from above.
Alan Potter, Boclair Academy, Inveroran Drive, Bearsden G61 2PL
Mosaic on steel frame designed in collaboration with students.
Nikki de Saint Phalle, Gallery of Modern Art, Royal Exchange Square G1 3AH
Glass mosaic pediment in the classic Nikki de Saint Phalle style.
MOSAICS IN THE GLASGOW AREA
Alex Frost, The New Easterhouse Mosaic, Westerhouse Road G34 9JW
Mosaic mural made with polished and natural finished porcelain tiles, made in 2012 to replace an original community mosaic which was demolished in 2004.
Hillhouse, 8 Upper Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh G84 9AJ
This National Trust for Scotland house with interiors designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh includes a lovely mosaic fireplace.
Alan Potter, Burnbank Centre, Hamilton ML3 0NQ
Large-scale mosaic in unglazed porcelain tiles featuring local trades.
SCOTLAND’S MOSAICS - GENERAL
Crawick Multiverse, Sanquhar DG4 6ET
Visitor attraction designed by land artist Charles Jencks. Within the grounds are two mosaic panels made by pupils from Sanquhar and Kelloholm Primary Schools.
Maureen Crosbie, Brechin Flood Prevention Mosaic, River Street, Brechin
Mosaic made by the local community as part of a flood prevention scheme along the South Esk river.
Helen Michie, Glenuig Hall, Entrance way, Lochailort PH38 4NB
An abstract mosaic of the local landscape in glass, porcelain, pottery and local pebbles.
Fiona Mcbean Roger, Little Theatre, King Street, Nairn IV12 4NP
Fourteen-metre-long mosaic depicting local stories and theatre-related themes installed in 2014.
Alan Potter, Laurencekirk Railway Station, Station Road, Laurencekirk AB30 1BE
Heritage mosaic in unglazed porcelain tile featuring local history and modes of transport.
Highland Stoneware, Lochinver, Sutherland IV27 4LP and North Road, Ullapool, Wester Ross IV26 2UN
This pottery company has used broken ceramics to make a range of fun outdoor mosaics at their two showrooms in north west Scotland.
Joanna Kessel, Macmillan Cancer Centre, Jeanfield Road, Perth Royal Infirmary, Perth PH1 1NX
A large-scale mosaic designed around the flow of the River Tay and the Perthshire flora. Made in 2009 using unglazed porcelain and vitreous glass mosaic.
Additional information from Pat Witts
In Pitlochry there’s the stunning pebble mosaic in the Explorers Garden which was in Grout a few years ago